WALLACE FOSS was built during the ALASKA GOLD RUSH era in Tacoma – Washington. Originally designed as a passenger steam vessel, she was changed to a tugboat after the hull was built. In 1920 the Foss family purchased the Rouse Towing Company. The deckhouse was entirely rebuilt in 1945 and a new raised pilot house was installed.
The WALLACE FOSS continued to tow sand and gravel barges, and petroleum barges in Puget Sound, Hood Canal and the San Juan Islands. The tug became the only tug in the Foss fleet to operate for 50 years or more. She retired in 1972 and is currently the home of her current owners.